We all know that many parts of the human body, including the brain, eyes, inner ear, spine, and nerves, work together to keep it balanced. However, whenever any part of this system gets off, you start to feel dizzy. You need to know that dizziness can be a warning sign for something serious, and it can also be fatal if it leads to fall.
Read on this post to learn more about the possible causes of dizziness, its symptoms, and treatment, as well as some useful tips to reduce the impact of dizziness.
What is Dizziness?
Dizziness refers to the feeling of being unbalanced, lightheaded, or woozy. This condition not only affects the sensory organs of the human body (eyes and ears) but it also sometimes causes fainting. You need to know that dizziness is not a disease, but rather a warning sign for various disorders.
According to doctors and healthcare practitioners, dizziness, often or occasional is quite common, and it is not something to worry about. However, it is recommended to always contact your doctor immediately in case of the occurrence of repeated episodes of dizziness for a prolonged period and that too for no apparent reason.
You need to know that vertigo and lack of equilibrium are the two most common reasons that usually cause the feeling of dizziness. On one hand, where vertigo is characterized by spinning sensation, disequilibrium, on the other hand, refers to the loss of balance or equilibrium. There are many other possible causes of dizziness, some of which are discussed below.
7 Possible Causes of Dizziness
Some common causes of dizziness may include alcohol, migraine, and medications. Dizziness can also be caused by the inner ear which is responsible for regulating body balance. In addition to this, there are many other symptoms like lack of equilibrium and vertigo that contribute towards causing dizziness.
Other possible causes of dizziness include:
- A decrease in blood volume
- Anxiety disorders
- A sudden drop in blood pressure
- Ear Infection
It is only in rare cases that dizziness is caused by a stroke, multiple sclerosis, a malignant tumor, or some brain disorder.
Common Symptoms of Dizziness
People who’re experiencing dizziness may experience different symptoms like:
● Loss of balance
● A fainting sensation or lightheadedness
● A false sense of spinning
● Feeling of floating
Dizziness can sometimes be accompanied by vomiting, nausea, or fainting. So, make sure to seek emergency medical help if you notice these symptoms for prolonged periods.
Treatments for Dizziness
It is a fact that most dizziness treatments focus on the fundamental causes. This is why, in most cases, medical remedies and home treatments can easily keep the feeling of dizziness under control. So, here are some useful and effective treatments for dizziness.
● You can manage your inner-ear issues with medications and control them through at-home exercises.
● You can resolve BPV disorders with maneuvers and alleviate the symptoms of dizziness.
● Meniere’s disease can also be treated with occasional injections, a healthy, low-diet salt, or an ear surgery if needed.
● You can treat migraines with certain medications and lifestyle changes.
● You can easily treat your anxiety disorders with the right medications and different anxiety-reducing techniques.
● Drinking plenty of water or fluids can eventually help you to control the feeling of dizziness.
Tips to Reduce the Impact of Dizziness
If you are experiencing recurrent bouts of dizziness, then you need to follow certain tips that are listed below.
● Whenever you feel dizzy, just sit or lie down immediately. In this way, you can prevent the possibility of losing your balance and falling.
● Make sure you always use handrails while climbing up or down the stairs.
● You can consider using a walker or a cane for stability purposes.
● Always try to avoid changing your positions quickly.
● Try to do activities that help to improve balance, such as Tai Chi and Yoga.
● Driving a car or operating heavy machinery is also not appropriate. Make sure you avoid it if you’re experiencing frequent dizziness without warning.
● Avoiding tobacco, caffeine, and alcohol is also helpful in controlling dizziness. Drinking a minimum of 8 glasses of water every day will help you to avoid dizziness and other stressful situations.
● You can also prevent dizziness by eating a healthy diet that contains fruits, lean proteins, and vegetables.
Besides following all these preventive measures, you must also consult your doctor if you’re concerned about the severity or frequency of your dizziness. And seek useful tips and suggestions from them in this regard.