DON'T DO IT. I have been there and I can help. There are lots of articles and posts online about how to get followers, with the tip of 'publish great content' being foremost among them. But your content is probably great, even if you're not getting followers. Instead of causing yourself massive anxiety, listen to your pal Priscilla and try these tips:
1) Follow other blogs. Really... it's that simple. Find blogs you like, follow them, and leave a comment telling the blogger what you love about their blog and that you're a new follower. The blogging community is amazingly kind and more times than not, you'll get a follow in return. You'll also get a visit to your site and maybe a return comment, which will make your little heart pitter patter.
2) Comment on other blogs. You might think this is the same as number 1, but it's not: when you comment on other blogs, other commenters can see your comment. They might just click on your profile and pay you a visit... and since your content is awesome, they might just follow you, too.
3) Link up to parties. I talked about this a few weeks ago. Link up with a good picture and a descriptive caption and visitors will come. If they like you, they might follow.
4) Have a few following options. GFC went away for non-Blogger blogs a couple of months ago... I keep hearing that it's going away permanently soon (which will break my little heart), so it's a good idea to not put all your bloggy eggs in one following basket. Post links that let people follow you on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, GFC, Linky Followers... you get the idea. Be flexible with your following options and followers will come.
5) Connect with your readers. If someone leaves a comment, send them a reply. Can I tell you, I have met (online at least) the most AMAZING people? As in, "I-think-we're-twins-separated-at-birth" people. Send a little message to commenters and see what comes back. You also need to utilize twitter and facebook to let your readers know you're up to something great. If you connect with them, they're more likely to keep coming back and hit that 'follow' button. And when you do get a follower, RETURN THE FOLLOW. I have found so many great blogs and bloggers through my followers. You will be so glad you did!
I'm sure there's bunches more awesome tips for getting followers, but this is what is working for me. I love EVERY LAST ONE of my followers. If I ever hit the lottery, I'm going to start holding a "Summit of Priscilla" every year and every one of you is invited. I'll even fly you in on my dime. 'Cause I love you.