Well, they really weren't that hard. But since I believe in self-affirmation, I'll pretend that these took major skill and patience and give myself a pat on the back.
Really though, they were super-simple.
I bought 1 1/2 yards of muslin fabric. I love the look and feel of muslin, that's why I picked it. I'm sure there's some rules about what fabric to use for curtains but I gotta go with what I love. I also bought some drapery lining at 30% off.
I measured the window and then measured the fabric. The length of the window didn't concern me much, I just bought enough to be more than long enough to fit length-wise... for the width, I divided the window measurement in two and added six. I hope we all brought our math-hats for class today.
I assume that there is someone out there mentioning that I should be using a fabric measuring tape at this point, but I like to live dangerously.
I then spent eleventy billion hours ironing. Really, I think I have carpal-tunnel from this part.
See that Ironing Mat? Still awesome.
I started the actual work with just one side. I folded over the raw edge of the fabric and ironed it. Again.
After that, I folded it over itself and ironed. Again.
I repeated the same thing on the other side, careful to keep the fabric at the needed measurement.
At the top, I did the same thing, but for the second fold, I used a ruler to make the fold four inches.
And then I ironed. AGAIN.
The next step was to add the drapery lining. I started with one side (after ironing it, seriously could there be any more ironing?) and pinned it in place as I went.
The ironing ended here. Mercifully.
I sewed the edges, leaving the bottom open. Once I had the three sides sewed (leaving a space at the top for the curtain rod), I hung them up and pinned where to sew the bottom.
And then I sewed. I love sewing and I'm not ashamed to admit it to you.
Aaaaaaaand... done. If it hadn't been for all the ironing, this would have taken such little time. I hung them up and then admired my hard work as my wrist throbbed with 'Ironer's cramp'. I'm sure that's a real thing.
'Why, they're so plain' you say to yourself... and you're right. So I measured for a tie-back.
I took some fun fabric (that might look familiar from the ironing mat up above) and sewed strips, right side together, for a little color.
I turned them right side out and pinned them up on the curtain... I have to run to the store to get the hooks to hold them back all proper-like.
Look how cute!
'But', you're saying to yourself, 'it still is pretty plain'. First of all, you are awfully chatty today. Second of all, I have something else planned for this window... stay tuned!