I sketched out a plan onto some paper... all my best projects start out on scrap paper, it seems. I wanted something I could hang above my desk that would have a space for a couple of folders, a slot for my menu calendar and a pocket for outgoing mail. And then I found some super-duper fabric.
Do you see that fabric? Loves. I have such a problem with color... in fact, I purchased some black and white polka dot fabric to do this project because I was certain I would never have the guts to ACTUALLY PUT SOME COLOR INTO MY LIFE. I'm happy to say that the black and white polka dots did not get used.
I laid out my folders and calendar to get a general idea of how big I wanted the whole thing to be. For the calendar at the top, I used a sheet protector.
I wanted to secure it without using a clip at all... this was an easy solution.
I used my new sewing machine to sew all the pockets. For the calendar, I wanted to hide the edges of the sheet protector, so I sewed some ribbon on top of it... so easy.
Once I had all the sewing done, I cut a piece of poster board to the right size and hot glued the fabric to it. That gave it a little stability.
I'm sure these pictures aren't terribly helpful to figure out how to do this... It's hard to take a picture of myself sewing and I don't trust the husband with the camera. He has fumble-thumbs. Here's the finished project (which I LOVE):
Now, I have a folder with the bills I need to pay, a folder for my blog project details, and a pouch for my outgoing mail. Oh, and a space for the monthly menu... since I make the grocery lists at my desk, it's much easier than going to the fridge to check the menu. Now, I don't have to get up. Ever. Bliss.