I found an article online about the 10 words you mispronounce that make you sound less than smart. I am happy to say I only mispronounce one of them... how about you?
The original article is here... it's so funny, you need to read it. Here are the ten words:
1) Athlete. I have heard this pronounced 'athalete' many a time. There's only one 'a'.
2) Escape/Espresso/Et Cetera. If someone around me says 'expresso' a part of my soul dies. Please help my soul.
3) Nuclear. I hear people say 'newk-luh-er' a lot... including my hubbers. I correct him and am polite and charming when I do so. Or at least, that's how I recall it.
4) Prescription/Prerogative. I've notice people saying prerogative wrong, but I think most people get prescription right.
5) Utmost. People sometimes say 'upmost'. I forgive them though, because I like the word 'up'.
6) Candidate. If you're saying 'can-uh-date', you're saying it wrong. But I'll still vote for you.
7) Sherbet. There is only one 'r' in Sherbet. My mother refuses to accept this and will continue to say 'sherbert' until her dying day.
8) Awry. It's pronounced 'uh-ry'. I've never heard anyone pronounce it differently which means I surround myself with awesome and smart people.
9) 'For all intents and purposes'. Apparently, the author of the article used to say 'for all intensive purposes'. I find this a little adorable.
10) Often. Here's the one I'm guilty of mispronouncing. The 't' is apparently silent. When I say "often", I get it right... but if I say "oftentimes", which I oftentimes do, I pronounce the 't'. I had no idea it was silent. I will hang my head in shame until Weird Al Yankovic wins an Oscar.