Wednesday, October 12, 2011

31 Days of Halloween - Black Rose Wreath

If you're enjoying my Halloween posts, be sure to follow with GFC or Facebook... I'm doing another 31 Days of Halloween series this year! 

I hope you are well into your Halloween decorating! Let's continue our 31 Days of Halloween series with a spooky wreath for the front door!

Last week, I showed you my Bat Garland, which I made out of a black plastic tablecloth. I had a lot leftover, so I decided to use it for this project instead of fabric! I love when I don't let something go to waste AND I don't have to make a trip to the store. Win-win.

I cut the tablecloth into strips of various lengths. These were for making rosettes, so different sizes isn't a bad thing. I grabbed a foam wreath and my tablecloth strips and got to work.
First, I wrapped a strip of the tablecloth around the foam wreath.  I could have spray painted it, but all my black spray paint was intended for the Cemetery Fence.  And this was easier, really.
I secured it to the wreath with good old Elmer's glue.  I think it took less time to do that step than it would have taken to find the spray paint.

Hang it up somewhere to let the glue dry.
Your coupon clipboard would handle this step beautifully.

Next, I made rosettes from the strips of tablecloth.  Here's what I'll say about this part: It would have been much easier using fabric.  You can't hot glue the plastic because it melts... so you have to use regular glue, which takes a while to dry.  Using fabric would have been much faster and easier, but I'm a girl who likes a challenge.  Also, as previously mentioned, I didn't want to go to the store.

I think everyone knows how to make rosettes by now, don't they? These have been sweeping blogland for forever...  I laid out the strips of tablecloth and put some glue at one end.
Fold the sides in...
Glue on top again...
And fold in again...
And then I used a paper clip to hold it together until the glue dried.  If you were using fabric, this step would be irrelevant.
It works best with color paper clips.  I don't know why... it just does.

From there, I made a rosette like normal... folding the edges and twisting and folding into infinity or until you reach the end.  I glued the ends and taped them in place until the glue dried.  Once it did, I had a pretty little rosette... or a million.
To secure them to the wreath, I used Mod Podge.  I think that Mod Podge seals better and faster than regular glue and I really wanted these to stick.
I put them on the wreath mold and tied string around them to hold them in place until the Mod Podge dried.  This wasn't a hard step, but it took some time.  Luckily, I had about a million other projects to work on at the time, so it wasn't a huge sacrifice to wait for it to dry.

I kept lining the rosettes onto the wreath and added some ribbon.  It was turning out to be a really cute wreath.
By the end, I had a finished product... I put it on the front door to greet potential ghouls and ghosts... The husband thinks it could use a red rose or two for a pop of color, but I'm holding out for now... Happy Halloween!


I love all the comments I get from you! Because of an insane amount of spam, I had to turn off anonymous commenting but I'd love it if you'd comment anyway!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...